_

JOIN US NOW!

Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Night at the Railway Station

A couple of weeks ago, I went to KTM Railway Station a.k.a. Tanjong Pagar Railway Station. As news broke out about the closing down of the station and will be shifted to Woodlands, I paid a visit at the station for the first time in my time. I was there one Sunday morning, and got to make some photographs and at the same time, thinking about the possibilities of doing night photography there. You can view the day time photographs in monochrome here.

Make the jump to find out more on what I did for night photography.


Well there are a few night photographs in the day time series. One of them is showcased below in color.

© 2010 Martin Liew Photography.
This photograph would not be possible to make without my friend, Raymond Ng's telephoto lens. Thank you Raymond. You can view Raymond's work here.

One night, I organized an outing there. After the rest of the participants have departed for the night, 2 fellows decided to join me for more. We ventured further into the station vicinity and came upon this so-called Call Station or something like that which I do not know what they called it. We got a little excited and went ahead to set up our tripods and cameras, and made a few photographs of it. I made a few more of another subject nearby. Here they are.

Call Station
© 2010 Martin Liew Photography.


Waiting Couch
© 2010 Martin Liew Photography.

Coming back to the night outing part, I didn't make many photographs though but sharing some ideas and night photography with friends. In my nght photography, I don't always include human subjects in my images, but somehow I made an exception on that nght. Perhaps I wanted to do it in documentary style or perhaps to spice up the whole series. So I managed to get one decent shot of this old man walking out of the door, whom I think is one of KTM employees.

Walking By
© 2010 Martin Liew Photography.

I went back to the station on another night, alone. I felt I did not do enough and wanted to find different angles and perspective. I wanted to do it in monochrome and therefore I decided to do it for my Dwell In The Night project. I will follow up on this project here in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment