_

JOIN US NOW!

Sunday, August 06, 2006

A Night In The Park

A Night In The Park
© 2005 Martin Liew Photography

This photograph was made after a couple of early attempts and I wasn't satisfied with the results. Like landscape photography, night photography requires not only one-time exposure at a given time at one fixed vantage point of a selected location. Initially, it requires the photographer to find the right vantage points and make a couple of bracket shots. It also requires the photographer to come back to the same location on different days and timing for more different feel and mood to get the perfect image from the mind's eye, if the early results aren't good.

So on this particular night, I was walking in this residential park in the North area, hoping to make some good night pictures. I came back to this bridge where it's right across a huge canal towards a big field. After walking around to find the right vantage point I wanted, I set up my tripod, mounted the camera, and made the shot.

I really enjoyed this part of the area where the lighting caused this wonderful ambiance to the surrounding, as much as I enjoyed the process of making this picture. It makes me feel like I'm being there every time I see it. What a night in the park!

Shanghai TLR • KODAK TMAX400 • 3min 40secs

4 comments:

  1. Hi Martin

    I came across your blog whilst searching for night photography via Google; i think this photo is brilliant and black and white photos give a more wonderful image than in colour!

    Do you feel abit intimidated when going out on your own at night with your tripod and camera, as i am looking at doing some night photography myself here in England; its just going out on my own that i feel a bit intimidated about.

    Great work Martin!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave,

    Thanks for reading my night photography blog. Well, based on my personal experience, yes I did feel intimidated when I started out, and I still feel so since I started my nocturne photography. I would carry one haversack, one camera bag and a big heavy tripod, walking around in the middle of the night.

    However, I get used to it and I work a whole lot better alone, as I have my own time focusing on what I love to do and at the same time enjoy the night atmosphere and tranquility.

    FYI, I'll be posting more of my black & white night photographs here. Do come back or subscribe to my blog.

    Thank you.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Martin

    I'm looking at doing a night photo project of my own around Birmingham, England; i'm going to call it my 'Brassai Project', as i love Brassai's Paris at Night images and they have given me a bit of inspiration, i might also attach a soft filter onto my lens and see what the effect is like on the B&W night photos.

    I might setup myself one of these blog websites and so we can share each others experiences!

    Keep up the good work Martin and i will subscribe to your blog.

    Regards

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dave,

    Yes Brassai's Paris at Night is a great collection of Brassai's best night photography. I've read that book and it's certainly a book to inspire more night photographers.

    Attaching a soft focus filter can be quite interesting as it's part of yr creative process in night photography. It's the technique and execution of making the night photographs that strongly convey yr artistic message in yr images.

    Yeah it's a good idea to share each other's night photography experiences via blogging. All the best in yr night photography endeavors. Do post them and let me know. Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

    - Martin

    ReplyDelete