_

JOIN US NOW!

Sunday, March 04, 2012

This Used To Be My Playground - a Teaser Nocturne

Home Sweet Home
© Martin Liew Photography


Hi everyone! Hope you are doing well. More than 6 months since my last blog post here. Apology for my absence. Weather wasn't really kind in the last few months of 2011 and it got better in the first 2 months of 2012. A brand new year and good weather, I hope, to kickstart my night photography again. Well so it seems. Come on in and let me share a little news with you.




OK just a little brief story behind this image (shown above). It was taken during a night outing organized by a friend of mine to whom I got him into light-painting. We went back to the abandoned house in Loewen Cluster. Well nothing fantastic about this image. Just a head start for this blog, that's all. Not really. Actually I want to share with you guys on my latest work.

I came across my friend's photos of an old neighborhood playground located at the West area of Singapore. The old school playground is featured on the local documentary program, Tuesday Report - 'The Disappearing Past' series. A famous local film director filmed this playground in his documentary short film, Old Places.

Looking at my friend's photos certainly bring back many childhood fond memories. As a kid, I used to play in this playground, next to the one-room flat I used to stay. Anyway the old one-room flat along with 2 other blocks were demolished years ago. OK here's a teaser image for your viewing pleasure.

The Pelican
© Martin Liew Photography


This is one of the many night images I made last night. I remember clearly, I was playing with my playmates, climbing up on top of this structure in an abstract shape of a pelican. Those were the wonderful fun days of my childhood. I've always wanted to visit that old school playground again for the  nostalgia sake. Hence I went down last week. The whole HDB Estates in that area were selected for en bloc in 2004. By 2010, all the flat units were vacated. The whole estate, together with the nostalgic playground, is due to be demolished or redeveloped, probably by end of 2012. I'm glad I'm able to see it again and made night images of it. The whole area is quiet, like a dead town, especially at night. I know it because I was there last night. More on my night adventures in my later blog. 


Last but not least, I've started tweeting. Well I'm still new and I don't tweet frequently but in case you want to follow me, you can do so here. For those who are new to my blog, do subscribe. You can visit my website to view my other photography work.

Thanks for reading this blog.